Friday, April 5, 2013

Obsidian (Review)

Obsidian (Lux, #1)Book: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: The Lux
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Format:  Paperback
Pages: 335
Source: Purchased


Blurb:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
 
My Rating:
 
I should probably start off by saying that I had my doubts about this book. I tend to dislike books everyone raves about and the hype surrounding this book (and the entire series thus far) has been insane. The hype almost scared me off from reading this and I'm actually really glad that I picked it up because I absolutely loved it.
 
It was nice to see a book about aliens in YA instead of the usual vampires/werewolves/faeries which make up the stories for a lot of the genre. Really how many alien young adult books are out there? I can't think of many. And the fact that there were good aliens and bad aliens just made the story even better.
 
I loved the plot. Also the story behind the aliens was extremely well thought out and didn't sound ridiculous and was completely original. I loved the fact that different aliens had different powers and no two had the same level of power. Yet even with this they all blended into human society quite well.
 
I loved Katy. She was obsessed with books, had a book review blog and didn't put up with any of Daemon's crap. Because trust me there was a ton of crap from him. That boy seriously got on my nerves in the beginning, to the point where I wanted to smack him. He eventually grew on me when the other, nicer side of him made appearances.
 
When I finished this book I went out and ordered Onyx, the second book in the series. I can't wait to
start it and I hope this series just gets better and better.

 
 

6 comments:

  1. Ah! I didn't like it at all. At the beginning Daemon didn't like Katy just to like here later. I found this to be too cliched.

    I liked that Katy had a book blog but I felt this was just a way of getting blogger to like the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sorry you didn't like it. I admit I kind of liked the fact that he wasn't interested in her right away. I prefer that over insta-love.

      Delete
    2. I hate insta love, but not liking first when you know that they are supposed to like each other is a killer for me too :-(

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like that either :]

      Delete
  2. O.O She has a book blog? That is rocking awesome! I can't wait to read this one-- five stars from Sarah? Woohoo! Fab review, girly! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Katy has a book blog, she is the coolest character ever.
      Thanks!

      Delete