Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Under the Never Sky (Review)

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)Book: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 374
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars


Blurb:
WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.
 
Oh my god! I absolutely loved this book. Seriously this may have just become my new favorite book of 2012. I picked this up at the library due to the fact that I won an ARC of the sequel without realizing this book came first. And boy am I glad I won the sequel because I probably would never have discovered this amazing book. I am pretty new to the dystopia genre and every book I've tried recently I have loved, but this one just takes it to a whole new level. A sky that kills you? Yes please!
 
I loved the world in this novel. Outside of the pods that the dwellers live in the people who live on the outside, who the dwellers call savages, have little tribes and survive the best they can. It's a world that can one minute provide you with the food and water to sustain you and the next take your life. The people live in fear of the Aether and do their best to survive.
 
The characters were great and really likeable. Aria was a weak person in the beginning but quickly becomes a very independent and strong character. She's witty and sarcastic and doesn't take anybody's crap. There is also Peregrine. The outsider who appears rough and uncaring on the outside but harbors a deep need to help everyone he can and deals with a deep guilt that tears him apart. I fell in love with him, he's just so caring and strong and awesome. There is also his best friend Roar who we get introduced to near the end of the novel, he's sarcastic and funny and I think he loves himself but isn't obnoxious about it.
 
The plot of this story never slows down or gives you a minute to become bored. It's fast paced and packed with action. The struggles that the characters go through really tug at your heart and have you feeling the emotions they feel.
 
Do I recommend this novel? Yes, if you haven't read this one yet go out and get yourself a copy or borrow it from the library. You will not regret this novel.
 

6 comments:

  1. After reading the first chapter I thought, 'why the hell am I reading this?' I did not think I was going to like it at all. I was wrong. It is so good and just gets better and better as it goes along. Excited for the next one, congrats on winning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! By the middle of the book I could not stop reading, I seriously sat in the dark with a flashlight just so I could finish it!

      Thanks, Through the Ever Night is amazing so far and I'm only 103 pages in!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! I have been a follower for a while, but hadn't really read a review. Great job!

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to read this. Great to hear that the world and characters are well done.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many great things about this book. For some reason, a lot of the post-Hunger Games dystopias just haven't been connecting with me, but I really want to give this one a try.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this book ^.^ definitely check it out! (I haven't read The Hunger Games so I can't really compare anything..I'm so delayed in reading it lol!) This actually ended up being my top book for 2012 I just totally fell in love with it

      Delete