Friday, March 8, 2013

Shattered Souls (Review)

Shattered Souls (paperback)Book: Shattered Souls
Author: Mary Lindsey
Format: Paperback
Pages: 326
Source: Purchased.

Blurb:
A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny, and danger

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.
 
 
 
My Rating:
This is one of those books that when I finished reading it, it was all I could think about. I'm not really sure why but I found it impossible to get it out of my head. I'm not sure what made me love this one, maybe it was the characters or maybe it was the idea of immortality or possibly the ghosts.
 
The idea of a girl who hears ghosts isn't exactly new in the YA genre, but I have never read a book that's done it quite like this one. Lenzi does hear spirits and it is her job as a Speaker to help these spirits find peace and move on from Earth. Along with her protector, Alden, she completes these spirit's last wishes. Sometimes though they come across a Malevolent, which is an evil spirit fueled by hate.
 
I really liked Lenzi, she was stubborn and went for the things she really wanted no matter what anybody tried to tell her. She didn't let her gift ruin her life and even though she was dealing with the supernatural she seemed pretty normal. We also have Alden, who is caring and intelligent. He follows rules to a fault and is willing to risk his life to protect his speaker, Lenzi. I absolutely hated Zak, Lenzi's boyfriend in the beginning, he seemed like he was bad news and I just couldn't deal with him. We are also introduced to Race and Maddi, two protector friends of Alden's, these two are funny and I loved the scenes that they were in, even if it was serious they still came across as fun.
 
This book has everything in it, action, suspense, some mystery and even romance. If you're a fan of any of these things I definitely suggest you give this book a chance, it's a quick and fun read.
 
 
 
 



4 comments:

  1. I guess I need to read this-- I love when a book stays with you. But it sucks when you can't find anything to say! :( It's nice to find a book that has everything once in a while. Fabulous review, Sarah!

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      This book is probably one of my favorites of the year so far (a little early to say that but whatever I love it!)

      For some reason Blogger put your comment as spam so I had to go and mark it as not spam. I was seriously confused since I got an email saying you commented but I couldn't find it!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome!

      Hahaha, I think I already have a favorite this year too! Or maybe several. ;)

      Gosh, that happens to me too! I always get super confused, and one time I thought that they had deleted their comment...turns out it was in spam, so I didn't answer until like a week later-- it was terrible. Anywho, I don't know why that happens! LOL. ;P

      Delete
    3. I probably have several as well but it's all subject to change, still have 9 months to go. And Siege and Storm comes out this year so that's probably going to knock them all out.

      This was the first "spam" comment I've had, ever. It's just funny that it turned out to not even be spam. Silly google.

      Delete