Friday, March 22, 2013

Beautiful Creatures (Review)

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)Book: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Series: Caster Chronicles #1
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 563
Source: Purchased

Blurb:
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
 
My Rating:
 
Let me start by saying that I didn't get my hopes up for this one, and because of that I was pleasantly surprised. I found myself enjoying this story even though at certain parts it is extremely slow. I think the thing I enjoyed most about the book was the fact that it was told through a guy's point of view. It left me as confused and lost as Ethan was and I had to discover the truth about Lena right along with him.
 
I loved that the story was set in the South. Because of this you can really see how poorly Lena is treated by the people in this town especially since they go by Southern hospitality. Where was it for her? Just because she was different all pretense was dropped and she was treated like a pariah. When Ethan begins to hang out with Lena, he begins to lose everything as well even though the town still claims him as their own since his family has been there for years. He begins to be shunned just as much as Lena, the only difference is Ethan is perfectly okay with it.
 
The fact that the story is about magic is what really held my attention. I love stories about witches, though in this case it's Casters. It was even more enjoyable due to the fact that the one telling the story wasn't the Caster but a Mortal. So we get to see the magic through the eyes of someone who isn't used to it and that really brings a whole new level to the story.
 
I really liked Ethan. He was loyal and kind and didn't put up with any of the crap the other kids in his class did. He stood up for Lena even though he was the only one doing it and never even thought twice about it. Lena was another great character, though her constant worrying did get old pretty fast, she was strong as well and when it came to Ethan there was nothing she wouldn't do to save him.
 
I recommend this for anybody who enjoys having a male point of view in Young Adult fiction. If you're a fan of magic and mystery as well as adventure then you should definitely check this book out.
 



7 comments:

  1. I am so glad to finally see that someone else didn't hate this book. I was beginning to feel like I was the only one who didn't think it was that bad. Awesome review!
    -Sycho
    Sycho Faerie's Book Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that most people hate it. It was slow in parts but really it great. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I tried to read it but got bored... and abandoned it :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. Maybe it just wasn't for you :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Lectus...this didn't work for me, but I'm glad that you liked it! (: Lovely review, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice review. I didn't get my hopes up either, which is why I think I ended up liking it!

    ReplyDelete