Monday, January 7, 2013

In Your Dreams (Review)

In Your Dreams (In Your Dreams #1)Book: In Your Dreams
Author: Amy Martin
Format: Paperback
Pages: 253
Source: Won in a contest hosted by the author
My Rating: 4 stars

Blurb:
Sixteen-year-old Zara "Zip" McKee lives for three things: basketball, books, and bailing out of tiny Titusville, Illinois, where the junior high and high school are in the same building and everyone's known everyone else since birth. But when Kieran Lanier moves to town and passes out on her desk on his first day at school, Zip's life gets complicated in a way she never dreamed.

Kieran has narcolepsy, and although he sometimes struggles to stay awake, he has no trouble capturing Zip's heart and trusting her with his most guarded secret--he sees bits and pieces of the future in his dreams.

But just when Zip thinks that maybe she can handle having a boyfriend who sees things before they happen, her budding relationship with Kieran gets a jolt when Kieran's parents reveal that his sleeping disorder is not what it seems and may be putting them in harm's way. And when Zip begins to have unsettling dreams, she must decide if she can live with knowing the future in advance when she's afraid of what might happen.

*Recommended for Young Adult readers 13 and up (mild cursing, some adult situations)
 
 
I was so excited to find out that I had won this book from the author since the description of this book sounded fantastic. I haven't come across too many books in the Young Adult section that deal with the topic of narcolepsy (then again not much in the adult fiction sections either) and I became very interested in finding out what this book was about.
 
When you read the description you think "Oh there will be some paranormal twist seeing as Kieran can see bits and pieces of the future." Well there was no paranormal element to this book, at all and I think that because the author didn't take the easy route out the book ended up being much more interesting and likeable (Don't get me wrong I LOVE paranormal books, it just wouldn't have worked too well with this story).
 
I loved how the story takes place in a small town, it creates a story where the people involved all know each other and care about one another as well as the fact that the characters have to try hard to keep a very big secret because in a town that small everybody knows everyone else's business.
 
Zip was an interesting character. She was funny and spunky and loves to read. I found myself hoping that she gets her happy ending and that everything turns out alright for her. We also have Kieran the new boy in town who has narcolepsy. He's funny and loves to read as well. I immediately loved him seeing as he makes jokes about most things. Then we have Kayla who is Kieran's sister. She starts off distant and anti-social but you get to see another side of her and I found myself liking her as well.

While the main character loves basketball and it is discussed many times throughout the book I found myself able to keep up with the information and it was delivered in a way that made it very easy to understand, even for someone like me who knows absolutely nothing about basketball.
 
I never imagined this book would take the turn it did. I was suprised and I found myself hurrying through the pages just so I could find out what happened next. This book was a quick read and I will definitely be checking out the next in the series when it is published.

2 comments:

  1. I received this book from the author, too, and I've been seeing really great reviews of it - can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete