Monday, April 28, 2014

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut

9593 Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut
Series: N/A
Publisher: Dial Press
Format: Paperback
Pages: 324
Source: Purchased


Galápagos takes the reader back one million years, to A.D. 1986. A simple vacation cruise suddenly becomes an evolutionary journey. Thanks to an apocalypse, a small group of survivors stranded on the Galápagos Islands are about to become the progenitors of a brave, new, and totally different human race. In this inimitable novel, America’s master satirist looks at our world and shows us all that is sadly, madly awry–and all that is worth saving.

 

 This book was a huge bust for me. I was really hoping to love it considering I loved both Slaughterhouse-Five as well as Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut. This book just seemed to be lacking everything I enjoyed in the previously mentioned books.

One of my major issues was the repetition of how terrible a large brain was for humans in the past, I get that this was the basis for the whole story but it seemed like it was repeated on every other page. I got to the point where I could barely even finish the book and I had to force myself to do just that.

I could not enjoy this book and I think the fact was that it was so unlike the previous two books I had read by him that I was thrown off guard. I could not get into the style of this one and it's a shame because the description sounded really cool. If only it had been executed in a way that was a little more exciting and didn't have me putting the book down constantly just so I could stay awake.

If you're new to Vonnegut I would highly recommend starting with another book, but if you do insist on reading this one be prepared that it's extremely slow and you probably won't remember much of what happened after you finally finish it.




No comments:

Post a Comment