Friday, February 21, 2014

Night of Cake & Puppets by Laini Taylor

18360128Night of Cake & Puppets by Laini Taylor
Series: Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Kindle
Pages: 89
Source: Purchased
In Night of Cake & Puppets, Taylor brings to life a night only hinted at in the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy—the magical first date of fan-favorites Zuzana and Mik. Told in alternating perspectives, it’s the perfect love story for fans of the series and new readers alike. Petite though she may be, Zuzana is not known for timidity. Her best friend, Karou, calls her “rabid fairy,” her “voodoo eyes” are said to freeze blood, and even her older brother fears her wrath. But when it comes to the simple matter of talking to Mik, or “Violin Boy,” her courage deserts her. Now, enough is enough. Zuzana is determined to meet him, and she has a fistful of magic and a plan. It’s a wonderfully elaborate treasure hunt of a plan that will take Mik all over Prague on a cold winter’s night before finally leading him to the treasure: herself! Violin Boy’s not going to know what hit him.



When I saw that this had been published, I knew right away that I would be buying it. If you know me at all you know that I am absolutely in love with the Daughter of Smoke & Bone series, and this novella is no different. The only problem I had with it is that I wish it had been longer!

The fact that it's told in Zuzana and Mik's points of view just make it even better. I love Zuzana, she's actually one of my favorite characters in the series and I love every chance we get to see her in the books. She's just so funny and strange and lovely that it's impossible not to love her. Mik is a definite bonus in this story. There's not too much about him in the series and I really hope that changes with the last book. It was great to really get to see his character, plus he plays the violin.

The novella was sweet and completely adorable. I loved the insecurities that they both had and the way they come together is really unique and had me smiling the whole time. If you're a fan of the series then you definitely need to check this story out.



No comments:

Post a Comment